What is a Normal Bowel Movement?
- A bowel movement should occur after every meal that is consumed.
- Typically there should be 2-3 bowel movements daily.
- The stool should be soft and unformed, not hard or watery, and it should break up when the toilet is flushed.
- The stool should float.
- Bowel movements should happen effortlessly, and without straining, and should take only a minute or so to pass.
- Marks on the toilet bowl indicates constipation and excess mucus in the system.
- This is the length of time it takes for ingested food to leave the body.
- Normally, four-fifths of food ingested should be eliminated over an eleven to nineteen hour period of time.
- Every eight hours there is a peristaltic urge triggered by the gallbladder.
- If a bowel movement is passed on waking at 7:00 a.m., then the next one should be passed at approximately 3:00 p.m.
Tips for a Healthy Colon
- Eliminate When Needed
- Don't resist the call of nature. Try to establish a routine bowel movement first thing in the morning. The bowels need to evacuate in the morning because bacteria has been active and the metabolism has been inactive all night long. Aim for another 1 – 2 bowel movements throughout the day.
Squat when you Eliminate
Place a footstool, box, two telephone books, or a step under both feet when seated on the toilet. By raising both feet off the ground, a squatting position that is more natural and encourages easy elimination is reached. This is also of benefit to women when voiding urine in order to fully empty the bladder. The design of the modern toilet actually contributes to constipation.
Get Regular Exercise
Exercise helps to keep abdominal muscles strong and firm. It also encourages peristalsis, which is the involuntary contraction of the colon wall. Exercise immediately after eating should be avoided because the digestive process needs a lot of energy.
- Drink plenty of warm water.
- Chew food well and do not drink at meal times.
- Eat small amounts and eat often.
- Consume plenty of fruit and vegetables, sprouted grains, nuts and seeds.
- Maintain an ideal balance of 80% alkaline and 20% acid foods.
- Eat a tablespoon or more of soaked linseed, sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds daily.
- Include plenty of green juices in the diet as they provide maximum nutrition with minimum digestive effort.
Listen to the body for rest cycles. It is natural to rest for 30 minutes after each meal. For optimal cellular cleansing and rebuilding, do not eat or drink anything for 3 hours before going to sleep at night. Fast on juices one day per week. Drink only freshly squeezed juices, pure water and herbal teas.
A Final Thought
If the average person has only three bowel movements a week and is supposed to have three a day, then by the end of the week they are eighteen bowel movements short. By the end of the month they are seventy-two bowel movements behind. Then by the end of the year they have an eight hundred and sixty-four bowel movement deficit. This build up of waste matter in the body can lead to many health problems, which may often seem unrelated to bowel toxicity
I was on holiday in France and had a lot of phlegm and sinus congestion over there. After flying home my ears felt blocked and wouldn't pop. My doctor gave me antibiotics for a couple of weeks, but they didn't work. He sent me to a specialist who was going to operate and unblock them. My wife suggested I see Ciara. Ciara told me to cut out dairy and wheat and gave me herbs to drink. My ears popped after a few days and the paint went. I cancelled the operation and I've been feeling great ever since.
- BW, Malahide
I've been treated by Ciara in her Apothecary over the last 5 months for eczema that broke out on my face after having cleared up for a year through changing my diet. I was quite stressed and Ciara took as much care of my emotional as well as physical symptoms. She advise me on diet, prescribed herbs and was very supportive. My skin has completely cleared up.
- Sarah, Greystones
Oh my god they're fab! I have been taking two every night and they are absolutely brilliant! It's worked like a trick, have been doing all the other bit you recommended too and it's completely sorted out the bloating and distension and constipation. It's made a massive difference, I only realised this morning actually that my stomach hasn't been distended in tha past few days in a row which is practically unheard of. Thank you so much, they are amazing.
- K O'Reilly, Westmeath
We had been trying for three years to conceive and I had started taking clomid a few months beforehand to which I reacted to. A friend recommended I have a consultation with Ciara. Within four months I was pregnant and had a healthy baby boy!
When we decided to try for baby number two, we conceived within two months of starting on Ciara's herbal medicines. I cannot recommend her enough, the herbs are easy to take and inexpensive. Thanks to Ciara we have a happy healthy family.
- Helen, Louth